Saturday, November 10, 2012

The Porter


I went to The Porter for the first time last week, and I've gotta say it's probably my new favorite restaurant. The food was amazing, the beer list is a stack of paper an inch thick, and the waitstaff is extremely knowledgeable about everything on the menu.

I had the shrimp and grits, and started off with a Duchesse de Bourgogne. The grits were insanely creamy and were some of the best I've ever had (this coming from someone who has lived their entire life in the South). There were plenty of shrimp, crimini and portobello mushrooms; and they even threw in some truffle oil for good measure. Completely delicious.

It was my first time trying the Duchesse de Bourgogne, and I've found a new favorite there as well! This is going to sound strange, but it tasted like apples and vinegar but in a GOOD way...I had to check the menu to see if I had ordered a cider instead of beer, but nope! Duchesse de Bourgogne is a Flemish red ale, which apparently turns out very fruity and acidic because the brewers use something other than the normal yeast used in beer. I really dug this one, and I'd go so far as to say this might be a good drink for people who aren't so sure about beer but want to get into it. To be honest, I forgot the name of the second beer I had, but I enjoyed that one, too.

My friends and I were there on a Saturday night and it was packed, but the service was still impeccable. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly, and our food and drinks came out quickly. Do yourself a favor and go to this place!

Their website can be found here: 
http://www.theporterbeerbar.com/eat/lunch-dinner/

No comments:

Post a Comment